Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday

Bonjour!

Today, I was sick. I do not like being sick, nor do I wish to continue being sick. It's your everyday cold, but I would really appreciate it if it LEFT. Mostly because I have orientation this weekend! YAY. Tomorrow, I will stay with my third host family for the night and will drive with them and the Brazilian to the conference, which is a two and a half hour trip by car. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and hope they're all even better in person than they are over the internet! I'm sure they will be, but you never know :P

At school, I had history, English, SVT, French, and... NOT SPANISH.

In history, we're studying economics. I think. I'm pretty sure at this point, but I could still be wrong. I actually attempted to fully understand the teacher today. He talks very quickly, so I couldn't keep up the whole time, but I did understand most of it. Sadly, I can't remember what he said, I only know that I understood it at the time. It has been like that for most of my classes. I understand, but I don't remember.

In English, the teacher gave us an article. We have been learning about.... GAP YEARS. How funny. I wonder what people do for gap years. Oh! They can work, volunteer, and go on a foreign exchange. That sounds really cool, maybe I should--- oh wait. Anyway, she gave us an article to read (in English, obviously). As part of her lessons, students go up in front of the class and present what the class learned last time. Plot twist: I'm going to do one... in French. Now, it's only a few sentences, but it's not as easy as it sounds. It's a year 5 or 6 English class, so my French is not at the level their English is at. Also, I have to translate everything I would like to say. Usually, students can pull words from the article and save their butts if they need to. I, however, cannot. This will be interesting, but I think I can make it happen... sort of.

In SVT, the teacher gives me the notes beforehand so I can just listen. Today, she said (in French, of course) "Since you have the answers I'd like you to read them to the class." I'm sorry... WHAT? You want me to read biological words that I've never said? Out loud? To this class of people who I don't really know very well? Alright. It went better than I thought it would, but I felt really American and I struggled with a few words. I really did appreciate it though. My teachers want me to learn, and if it can't be the subject they teach, it might as well be the language they teach it in. Also, no one laughed... which was surprising. I would have been okay with it if they did. I mean I was awkwardly laughing at myself, so I wouldn't have cared.

In French, I didn't follow the lesson, but I didn't fall asleep, so that was nice. I think we're supposed to write paragraphs on something...? I'm really not sure. My French teacher speaks very (VERY VERY VERY) fast. Oh well, I can't understand the literature anyway.

My NOT SPANISH went very well today. I waited for the bus for an hour and a half. Now, normally I just take a break by listening to music. However, today I took a break by talking with the Brazilian. We get along very well and we both have similar, if not the same, struggles. It's comforting to know that other people are going through it.

I probably won't be posting again until Monday (after orientation), so until then, au revoir!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment