Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of School

Bonjour!

I had my first "school day" today. I'm not even sure if it deserves to be called a day, since it was a mere hour and a half. This morning I woke up, attempted to look presentable, and even ate breakfast (which I I rarely do, so I've obviously become a whole new person). We first dropped off my little host sister at her school and then headed into Montélimar. Due to the fact that my host mother works for the school, we went into administration and I guess I just kind of stood there awkwardly. 

Hold on I'm getting ahead of myself. My first thoughts when we drove up to the school:
- Oh my, that's a lot of people.
- Welp. There goes my sanity.
- I'm scared.
- Why do they all look so French?
- Why do so many guys have some mohawk hairdo?
- Why are people wearing high heels? Are they crazy?
- How am I going to talk to them? 
- Okay, time for a new rule: I will talk to someone different in my class (or at least attempt to) until there is no one left.
- That's going to be difficult. 

Continuing on. Once it hit 10:00 the students started flooding the halls, and the administration woman was like "Les deux viennent avec moi" (I think). Rugged translation: "Hey you two that are so obviously out of place that it's painful, follow me". She showed me to the classroom and I took a seat (in the front, but in the corner, because hey, I DON'T KNOW ANYONE. The teacher said she would find me a friend (a girl so I would be more comfortable I guess...?), but some other guy like sat down and she had to ask him to move. That was rather uncomfortable for me. 

So on that awkward note, I made a new friend (not the person who had to move, but the girl that the teacher basically told to be nice to me). She was very nice and explained the introductory form that I didn't understand at all. The two girls behind us overheard that I am American and started to talk to me. It was actually pretty cool knowing that they didn't HAVE to be nice, but they were anyway. One of the girls loves Seattle. She literally said "C'est ma ville" (That's my city). So she likes me (or at least where I come from). 

I understood a surprising amount today, but I'm still unable to remember French on a consistent basis once something has been said to me. So I know that I understood, but I don't remember a lot of it. That amount today only being during the orientation portion, because once the teacher started her Physics lesson, I was completely lost. My new friend (at least I hope we're friends, only time will tell) kept asking me if I understood, so naturally I just sat there shaking my head. It was a lot of French and a lot of Physics. Two things I have yet to master. 

Now during these classes, I had no idea if anyone was staring at me because I chose not to look around the room like a lost puppy. I mean I did notice a few people looking at me funny, but I just decided to ignore that. Also I think someone asked how to spell my last name...? The "H" throws them off. It's actually hilarious to hear the French say my last name. It's something like "AIR-VAY" and I have to try super hard not to laugh, and I'm /usually/ successful in that. It concerned me a little that they were asking, but hey I wasn't about to get up and tell them it was none of their business. 

Also, I forgot to mention that when she introduced me to the class, I just kinda stood there awkwardly. I had made up my mind earlier that I would attempt eye contact. I ended up doing a quick glance and then turned away and just stood there until she finished. Then I sat down. Then people obviously whispered and stuff, but hey it's whatever. You definitely have to embrace being awkward when you're on exchange. You also have to be crazy strong.

Moving on to what happened after the hour and a half of school! (Sorrynotsorry this is such a long post)

My host mother found me and we went to eat lunch at this café. I had a croque monsieur. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically an epic grilled cheese. It's bread, cheese, ham, cheese, bread, cheese. Basically perfection. We then went to the local Church and I lit a candle in honor of my friend. I'm not religious really, but he was, so I thought he'd appreciate it. My host mother suggested it the night I found out and it was really touching. The support system I have here is already magnificent. 

After the Church was retail therapy. I don't normally do retail therapy, but I'll just say that wandering down the streets of Montélimar and going in and out of shops full of beautiful (and mostly expensive) clothing was actually very relaxing. I did buy a few things and I am looking forward to pretending that I might fit in. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Just kidding. If I wanted to fit in I would be back home, and I barely blend in there anyway. 

I think it was a good day today. Hopefully even better days will follow. 
Au revoir!

Amelia

PHOTO BLOG

1 comment: