Monday, September 9, 2013

A Real English Class!

Bonjour!

Today, I had my first real English class. Let me tell you, this class is so weird for me. I never thought I'd be able to even imagine properly learning English, and yet now it's a reality. I'm not exactly sure how much to participate in this class. I feel like I shouldn't answer every question, but I should still participate because it will help them to hear an American accent... unless they want to learn an English accent, then I will have to fake one. Which is no problem, but still. It's difficult to find the balance in this class. 

Accents are difficult. Now I know that my French accent is terrible, but it's not like their English accents are rocking. I couldn't understand a lot of the English with a French accent, but I understand the struggle. And let me tell you, this struggle is very real. Because I want them to speak slowly with me, when I speak in the English class, I talk slowly. Now, they might think I'm stupid, but it's for their benefit. I could speak like lightning in English class, but that wouldn't help anyone learn, now would it? Hopefully, they'll learn that I'm still learning. Maybe they'll even slow down their speech! Just kidding. No they won't. 

For a majority of the day, I felt like an English teacher. My new friends (yes, that's right, friends) kept asking me what certain things are in English. At first I was slightly annoyed, because I wanted to stay in French mode, but I realized that their interest in learning my language meant that they care. With that in mind, I happily taught them a few words in exchange for their French meanings. It wasn't deep, philosophical vocabulary, but it's still learning more of the language.

Until next time, au revoir!
Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment