Sunday, September 15, 2013

Full Weekend.

Bonjour!

Yesterday, my host mom took me and my siblings to two event things. In the morning, we went to "la maison de la tour" in Valaurie for an art/music expo. We walked around this house, following a woman who would sing and play instruments while we looked at the art installations. The music was not something I could really categorize. It was a mix between swing, folk, opera, and jazz. I'm not really sure. It sounded really interesting and she was very talented. It opened with this- well I'm actually not sure at all what it was. It was like an upright flute thing and that's about as success that I can be at describing it. She then took us into another room where she sang while pushing rocks around, then sang and played guitar, and then she sang to these maracas. We then went into the next room where she sang while playing water goblets. That was so awesome. I have no idea how she did all of it. She then led us with a piece on the trombone into the garden down the road. There, she did another piece with small rocks and was finished.

In the evening, we went to a circus-type act. It was a duo who hoisted each other around, showing off their insane strength and balance. There had a storyline woven in, but I couldn't really follow, as they spoke very quickly (oh theater). It was all very classically circus. The man lifted the woman onto his shoulders and did most of the bulk work. However, at the end, the woman held up the man on her shoulders and her back. It was crazy! This man was so much bigger than her and she could hold his weight on herself. Needless to say, it was a nice plot twist at the end.

Today, we went to visit the Chateau in Grignan again, but today we got to go inside. There's a weekend in France (this weekend), where all the private castles and gardens are open to the public. At least I think that's what my host mom said... I could be wrong. It was inside this Chateau that I admitted to being obsessed with photographing every single chandelier. Every. Single. Chandelier. They're just so pretty and intricate and beautiful and photogenic. I love them. I don't care how weird that sounds. Also fireplaces. Fireplaces are really cool. Don't judge me. I can feel you judging me, so stop it. 

After Grignan, we went to Le musée de la soie. Now I had no idea what a "soie" was when I agreed to go to this museum. It's a silkworm and the museum was really cool. The first portion was about the life cycle of silkworms and how the silk thread is retrieved. The second part was about the industrialization of the silk manufacturing. It was really interesting to see yet another thing that I didn't know this region is famous for. I assumed that it was just wine, but it's much more than that. So far I've seen lavender, crickets, and now silk. There really is more to this place than I thought. 

Update on school: I DON'T HAVE SPANISH CLASS ANYMORE AND THAT MAKES ME REALLY HAPPY. My host mom talked to the principal about it and we have found an alternative! Rather than Spanish, I will be taking a literature course (in English). It is taught by my English teacher (who is amazing, by the way) and I start it tomorrow! Hopefully, if this class is rigorous enough, I can convince my school counselor to accept it as credit when I return... But I doubt she will. 

Update on life: I talked with my (real) family that lives in Montpellier! I was so nervous at first for French over the phone, but I actually understood it very well! Just as long as they speak clearly (and preferably slowly) then I can understand. It was a pretty big step in me realizing my improvement. Lately I've felt as though I understand less every day, but now I realize that is not the case at all. I need to be more positive about my language skills and acknowledge that I am getting better each day. Back to my family. I might get to spend a week with them in October! My host parents are going on a hiking trip (?) and are dropping their kids with my host mother's mother, so I have to go somewhere. Hopefully, Rotary will approve this and I can finally travel a bit! My family has also expressed interest in coming up from Montpellier to visit Montélimar for a day, which I hope will happen soon!

Update on Rotary (I guess): Next weekend is Inbound Orientation! I finally get to meet all the other exchange students in person! I am going to stay with my third host mother on Friday night and she will take me and the Brazilian in my city to the event near Annecy, a mere 2 and a half hour drive (.... not mere). The only event that I'm sure will take place is this talent show thing they're having. Now, I brought my mandolin and one of my friends and I are going to hopefully sing a song and hopefully not be completely awful... Just kidding, we won't be. I hope. 

Well that's all for now! I know, I know, my posts are way too short ;) Au revoir!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment