Thursday, September 12, 2013

Other exchange students!

Bonjour!

This week, I have met more exchange students! These ones aren't with Rotary, but they are still here for the year. The cue has been English (or an accent) each time. While waiting in line for lunch, my friend overheard English and so I butted into the conversation because I'm lovely. The girl is from Slovakia, but she communicates here in French and English. She was so sweet. It's really comforting to know that you aren't alone in your struggles. 

Today, I met another American. Again, I overheard a conversation, but this time the girl sounded like I do when I attempt French. My other friend (not the same one) yelled to her: "Your French is so good!" Then, I asked "Es-tu américaine?" And after she said yes and I said me too, she and I both kind of had a hugging session. I didn't even know her name, but we both missed hugs, so we hugged it out. It was interesting..... Of course I found out her name later, so don't worry. She told me there was also a Danish girl and my Brazilian friend (with Rotary) told me there was an Italian girl. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than that.

Also, my Spanish teacher told me I should try to get into an English class or a class in French that occurs during the Spanish periods. All I do in her class is doodle or zone out. I'm not disrespectful about it or anything, but I'm not learning anything. I'm happy she realized this and is more than willing to get my Spanish-less mind out of her class. Hopefully I can do something different. 

Tonight, my Rotary counselor came by. He reminds me a lot of my uncle, not only because he's super tall, but just the way he interacts with people. I didn't realize how ill-prepared I was.... My parents and I didn't realize that I needed to bring the emergency fund in cash, so that isn't done. Also, I never printed out my itinerary to prove that I have a ticket back. OOPS. Sadly, he is holding my spending money hostage. </3 I understand why, but come on, that's a little harsh. 

My host dad loves to be SUPER funny. When my counselor asked how my family liked me my host dad expounded on how terrible I am and how I talk way too much. I was laughing the whole time to make sure that my counselor knew it was a JOKE. Hahahahaha I don't talk a lot here. I might be terrible, but I definitely don't talk a lot. This wasn't an unusual event for me, because my dad does that all the time back in the States. Sometimes it's comforting to see the similarities between the two. Other times........................ Only joking. Sort of.

That's all for today, au revoir!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment