Thursday, August 29, 2013

Mon nouveau lycée...et les nouvelles (My new high school...and news)

Bonjour!

Today, I went with my host mom into Montélimar to not only visit my new high school, but to meet my fellow exchange student who is also living in/near Montélimar, as well as my third host mom. The school building itself is fairly similar to the high schools in the States, but there are still differences. The main building is broken up into three sections: A, B, and C. There are (I believe) four floors plus the main floor. So the second floor is the 100 hall, the third is 200, etc. There is also a science building and a gymnasium. I have been enrolled in course S. S is for science. 

This means I will have two science courses rather than a literature and an art course. My schedule varies day to day, which will be new since every day is so uniform in the States. I think it'll be a nice change. I received 8 text books today. They aren't the huge and domineering books like back home; they are paperbacks and relatively small.... but I do have 8 of them. I have books for: Biology, Chemistry/Physics, Maths, English, Spanish, French, History, and Geography. Also I will take a PE course, but there obviously isn't a book for that. The other exchange student is very nice and I am happy I have one friend already (in the same city that is).

On the less joyful side of things, I found out earlier this morning that one of my friends who moved to Minnesota last year is in the hospital. He has a very bad flu (they think) and he went into a coma. We became very close since he moved and this was a wrecking ball. I don't know if he'll make it or not, but I do hope with my entire being that he does. 

Thank you to all my exchange friends who have been supporting me through this. It really does mean a lot. I found all of this out before I went to the high school and held it together until after lunch. This afternoon was really rough, but my host parents have been more than kind and supportive about it. The other exchange students have also been very supportive and wonderful. This is my family for the year, and I couldn't be more content with the people I get to be around and open up to. 

No matter what happens, I will not be going home. Since he is in Minnesota it would not help anyway. He told me before I left that I need to be strong and see this exchange through, no matter how homesick I get. I am sure that even in this situation, he would say the same thing: to stay strong and see this through. I will not be giving up on this experience because of a bump in the road (no matter how huge it may be). 

Sorry if this post was a bit depressing... hopefully the next one will bear good news and an interesting story.

Au revoir!

Amelia

PS: I have my SD card reader now, so pictures will hopefully be posted later tonight or by tomorrow :) http://la-france-en-photos.tumblr.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment