Thursday, August 22, 2013

I'm here!

Bonjour!

I have officially made it to France, but not without some bumps in the road. My mother and I left on time, arrived at the airport, my bag was under the weight limit, I had no trouble going through security and then.....DELAYED. For two hours. Because of this, my second flight left Amsterdam before my first flight even landed. I had to get assigned a completely new itinerary. Rather than fly direct to Lyon from Amsterdam, I flew through Paris with an hour layover. I was on standby until 15 minutes before boarding. It was fine, except for the pay-phones in Paris. They hate me. I tried to call my host family to tell them the situation. I even rehearsed the French on the plane for when I arrived on French soil. Alas, I never used my planned sentences.

When I finally arrived in Lyon, I made my way to the baggage claim, hopeful (stupidly hopeful) that they had successfully transferred my luggage. No, it will be in Lyon in about half an hour from now and will be delivered to my host family's house on... Saturday .-. Not only did I arrive 6 hours after I was originally supposed to, but filing the claim for an un-transferred bag took an extra half hour. I felt so terrible! But that all went away when I actually met them. They are amazing and nice and wonderful and everything positive...ever. 

I had my first French meal today. It was different from what I expected. It started off with a tomato and avocado salad. Then zucchini au gratin that was LITERAL perfection. And then there was cheese and plums. It was wondrous. All of it. 

I'm now off to wander my new village/town/city! Until I have more news or post a vlog or pictures, au revoir!

Amelia

2 comments:

  1. Way to navigate international travel! Hope you can go buy some clean undies until Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats ! Remember: Getting there is half the fun. Anyway you survived.

    Rob M

    ReplyDelete