Monday, November 4, 2013

Les Vacances de Toussaint (Fall Vacation)

Bonjour!

For the past two weeks, I was on vacation! Back in the States there isn't a fall vacation, but I didn't mind getting one... The first weekend was pretty normal. My host family and I didn't really do anything special. The first Tuesday, however, was wonderful! My host parents had to go to my host brother's school in Valence, so I got to see EXCHANGE STUDENTS! I saw people from Brazil, Mexico, Taiwan, and the USA! I had really been missing everyone in my district, so seeing them was a wonderful pick me up. We walked around the city and talked for about 4 hours. Hopefully, I can go back to Valence and see them again! 

On Friday of the first week, my host mom, host siblings, and I went to Toulon for three days. We stayed with my host mom's parents. My host mom's family is very different from mine. It was a little more serious and formal than it would have been if I were with my grandmother. It seemed as though each person was trying to out-nice the other. I don't know exactly, but it gave off different vibes than I'm used to. The first day, we went to the beach and I saw the Mediterranean Sea for the first time. It was so beautiful. I wanted to stay with my feet slowly sinking in the sand as the tide came in, but sadly I could not. We ended up walking along the shore for a few hours. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, but it was still nice. I just wanted to stare at the water, but I couldn't do that while trying not to trip and fall. The next day we went to Sanary, a town by the Mediterranean Sea. We climbed the stairs of a building to the roof and had a wonderful view of the harbor. Next to the building, there was a fountain with games set up around it. After the games, we did some window shopping in the center of the town. The third day, we walked around Toulon some more and then my host mom and I left after lunch, leaving my host siblings in Toulon with their grandparents. 

For the second week of vacation, my host parents went on a hike with their friends, so I stayed with my great aunt and then my (real) dad's cousin and his family in Montpellier. The first three days, I was with my great aunt in the center of Montpellier. Each day, we went for a walk in the city in the morning, had lunch at her apartment, took a nap, had tea, played scrabble, ate dinner, and then slept. The second day's trip to the city was actually very special for me. My grandparents met in Montpellier way back when. They fell in love through the French language (because my Swedish grandmother didn't let my American grandfather know that she spoke English...needless to say, she made him work for it). I got to see the park where they would take walks and I got to see city where they met. It was all very touching to see that part of my family's history. I guess that may be why I chose to take French in 9th grade, put France as my number one choice when I first applied to this exchange, and why I am so motivated to learn the language. 

For the second half of the second week, I stayed with my dad's cousin and his wife and children. I had met them once before, about 4 years ago. I wasn't really able to get to know them back then, but now I know them pretty well I'd say. They have two little girls, and my dad's cousin has an older son from a previous marriage. I loved staying with them. They spoke only (well... mostly) French with me, and in that one week, I really opened up more when speaking. It has become easier for me to speak with more confidence. And contrary to popular belief, I appreciate it when people correct me. I'm not going to be offended! It's not like they're screwing up my language... Anyway, it was helpful. We walked around the suburb that they live in and went to the Zoo in Montpellier. I also helped make pizza. I like making pizza. But I don't like that the French compulsively put olives on their pizzas. It's weird, but apparently that's just how it is...  

It was wonderful to get to know some relatives, but I still love Montélimar and living with a host family. Today was LA RENTRÉE. The day where you begin again after vacation. I missed my French friends and it was actually nice to have classes. I know that sounds really weird. Well, it is really weird, but I actually like school. I made some new friends today, I assumed that I had who I had at this point, but someone actually waited for me after class in order to talk to me. She also told me that I didn't have an accent. I guess that means I don't sound French, but I don't sound American. Maybe I just sound like an exchange student at this point. That's a good representation. I don't sound like I belong where I am, but at the same time I don't sound like I belong where I'm from. That works for me. I can forever be a nomad. Ok, maybe that's a little dramatic, but I like the sound of it. 

Au revoir!

Amelia

PS: I'm sorry I haven't been updating my photo blog. It takes forever to upload, and I get impatient, so I've just stopped until I find some time to sit down and upload. 

No comments:

Post a Comment