Monday, January 20, 2014

Rotary Weekend #2!

Bonjour!

This weekend, I had another Rotary Weekend with all the exchange students in my district. We went to St. Sorlin, a ski village in the Alps. On Saturday, a few other exchange students and I left Montélimar. We were within 30 km of the village when our route was cut off since the passes are closed for the winter. We then had to turn around and return to the nearest big city and take a different route. This added a little over two hours to our already long car ride. Rather than arriving at 4:00 pm, we arrived around 5:45 pm. 

After saying hello to everyone and putting our things in our rooms, we just started hanging out. The guitars were brought out and a group of us just started singing. I loved just relaxing with everyone and being normal for once. It has taken a while to get back to the normal interactions. There were still language barriers, but we all got along and found ways to communicate. After hanging out for a while, we had dinner: Raclette. Perfection. Nothing more, nothing less.

After dinner everyone did their last minute rehearsals for the Talent Show (by the way there was a talent show). It was so much fun to see everyone just be themselves and show their talents, even if they were uncomfortable (like me). I sang with two Brazilians and a Mexican. NORMALLY, I DO NOT EVER SING IN FRONT OF PEOPLE, but this weekend I just felt comfortable with it. Until people said nice things.... Then I just turned really awkward and tried to get them to stop talking about it. I should probably get over that soon. Mostly because the Rotarians chose the Talent Show act who will represent District 1780 at the Conference Weekend in Paris where every Rotary exchange student in France will meet up. That means I need to get over stage fright and talking to people about it afterwards. It's really exciting to know that people trust you and your friends to creatively represent a large body of people. 

After the Talent Show, we danced. Once again, it's really difficult to dance when you are surrounded by a bunch of South Americans who can move without looking like awkward seals (like me). You just kind of have to accept the fact that you will not move like that and maybe you never will. It was a difficult process, but it was successful. Exchange students just love being around each other and it was cool to just have everyone there.  

I loved having everyone there and I realized that I wasn't really adventurous last time. In September, I mainly talked to Americans, Canadians, Australians, and people who were willing to just speak English. This time, I decided to go meet other people who spoke other languages. I ended up spending a lot of times with the South Americans and making friends with them. Even though 75% of the time they were speaking Portuguese or Spanish, it was still really fun. Of course I had to ask for a translation to either French or English, but it worked somehow. I'm really happy that I switched it up. I still love the others, but now I've gotten to know even more people. 

The next day, we went snow-shoeing along the mountainside. For 4 hours. I'm just going to say that it was very difficult to walk up stairs the next day... Despite the fact that everyone was extremely tired, the view was gorgeous. There was a good amount of snow, but it never snowed while we were walking. I normally don't like snow, but when the snowball fights started I didn't just stand on the sidelines... 

Getting to be myself during this whirl-wind that is exchange has been one of the best things that has ever happened. I'm no longer afraid of how people see me. I just act how I act and let people make the decision for themselves. Trying to fit in isn't worth it anymore. Rather than trying to fit in on exchange you just have to fall into your place. You won't fit perfectly with everyone, but you'll find people and they'll find you. I've realized that I need to stop searching for a spot to be and just find it naturally.

I wish every exchange student the best of luck in stumbling across who they are. I wish families the best in supporting the exchange students in their lives. I wish Rotarians the best in continuing to give this gift to many future exchange students. This year has been truly magnificent so far and I cannot wait (except that I totally can and will wait) to see the end result. 

Au revoir!

Amelia 

No comments:

Post a Comment