Monday, January 6, 2014

Bonne Année! Happy New Year!

Bonjour!

It's been awhile, and this post will be very long, so bear with me. The last time I posted was just before winter vacation. The friday before break, my (real) dad's cousin (I think that makes him my second cousin...? I don't know so we'll just call him and his family my cousins) came and picked me up from Montélimar to spend Christmas and New Years with him and his family in Montpellier. After arriving in Montpellier, I spent a lot of time with my little cousins. They are two of the sweetest little girls on the planet. On the 23rd, we went to Bordeaux for Christmas. It was difficult to celebrate in such a different manner. I spent Christmas with a bunch of strangers. However, these strangers welcomed me with open arms. That afternoon, we went to the center of Bordeaux. It was MAGNIFICENT. I used to think that cities weren't very pretty and that the bustle was always overwhelming, but I admit that I was wrong. That evening, I tried skyping with my family, but we didn't talk for very long. 

On the 24th, I baked cinnamon rolls for everyone (that was a success). Dinner on Christmas Eve was raw seafood..... which is not exactly my cup of tea, so I didn't really eat anything. The Père Noël arrived around 11 pm on the 24th. Apparently, the only one of the five children (who were all under the age of 12) still believed in the magical man who brings gifts on Christmas. He was around 5, but others were 7 or 8, and I just felt bad that the magic didn't last very long for them. For dinner on Christmas Day, there was roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and a mushroom/truffle sauce. MUCH better than the seafood.

We returned to Montpellier on the 26th. Around midnight, I skyped my parents and little brother and had a mini Christmas, complete with the stocking that they sent me. The next day, I went with my cousins to see "Belle et Sébastien", which is a beautiful French film that was recently remade and released. I understood all of it and was very proud of myself. I highly recommend it. I then spent a few days with my great aunt, who lives just a ten minute walk away from the center of Montpellier. We strolled around the center and I did my Christmas shopping for my first host family (it was more thank you shopping than for Christmas). After the shopping, we returned home and watched some TV. We watched "Castle" (I had to set in on English with French subtitles...the voices were horrible in French) and then a Charlie Chaplin movie. 

After returning to my cousins' house outside Montpellier, I got the chance to watch real French television. My little cousins and I watched "Fait pas ci, fait pas ça" (Don't do this, don't do that). Apparently, it was really funny, but I only understood a few of the jokes. I felt like such a downer not laughing with everyone else, but I don't just laugh when everyone else does. I've learned that it's better to show that you don't understand rather than faking it. Faking it doesn't help me learn. 

For New Year's Eve, I colored. Rather than watch more of "Fais pas ci, fais pas ça", I colored in my room and listened to Stromae (Belgian hip-hop/electronic/rap artist). I didn't even notice the year change. New Years Day, we spent a day without technology and played board games and relaxed. The next day, I rejoined my host family. We spent the afternoon in Nîmes and returned to Montélimar in the evening. When we got back, we had a gift exchange. I gave them their presents and they gave me an absolutely gorgeous necklace. After dinner, I had a long conversation with my host parents about everything and anything (instead of packing). 

The next morning, I packed up my bags and mentally prepared myself for the family change even though I had no idea what to expect. That evening, we went to my second family's house to officially change. We spent about an hour and a half talking. When my first host family left, it was the weirdest feeling to not go with them. I couldn't even watch them walk back to their car. They were the first people to show me this new culture and helped me adjust to everything. You know that heavy feeling you get after you cry? I felt that as they left. I didn't actually cry, but it felt as though I had cried for an hour. Luckily, my new little host brother came and gave me a hug. 

My second host family sent their son to the States about 3 years ago, and I will be their last exchange student (if my host sister changes her mind and no longer wants to go on exchange that is). I have four host siblings, but only two are always at the house. My older host sister is studying in Paris and only returns for long vacations. I may not see her again during my exchange. My older host brother on the other hand, is studying in Lyon and comes back on the weekend sometimes. Then there's my younger host sister, who is 14. I've never had a sister before, let alone one relatively close to my age. She and I get along very well and I already love her to bits. Finally, there's my 7 year old host brother. He is such a sweetheart and we also get along very well. My host parents are really kind and it's easy to talk to them. It has been a little easier to find a rhythm in this family because I know the language better and don't have to change cultures completely. 

Today, school started again with a new bus. I was really worried that the bus would be awkwardly full when I got on, but it was practically empty. After I got on, it filled up very quickly. It's definitely a different rhythm already, but I think (hope) it will be a quick adjustment. My first class today was math (obviously everyone's favorite course to start with). After school, I had to wait two hours for the bus and my host sister. Tomorrow, I won't have her to show me where the stop is, so I'm a little freaked out about that. I tried to pay attention with the timing and the scenery, but I'm just not sure enough. Well hopefully that goes well tomorrow. 

Au revoir!
Amelia

1 comment:

  1. Keep your stories coming. I will try and read part of this one at the next Rotary meeting. I have been in Arizona since Christmas enjoying the sunshine. We are also making plans for our annual trip to France, right around June 10.

    ReplyDelete