Sunday, June 29, 2014

I HATE GOODBYES. THEY ARE THE WORST THING EVER.

When I first signed up for this exchange, I was so excited to find a new place, discover so many wonderful things, and meet the most amazing group of people. I did not sign up for all these goodbyes! I guess you could say that I've been in denial for a while. I don't think I'm in denial anymore, but that doesn't mean I have to be ok with this.

Today was the last Rotary event in my district. Only about  half of the exchange students were there, but that didn't make it any easier to say goodbye to them. Everyone started out with the normal happiness that comes with seeing everyone again. However, once the first person said they had to go (this person happened to be me), tears started flowing (from my eyes first). 

I don't know how to describe what I was feeling. I was happy because I know all these amazing people from around the world. I was sad and disappointed that I had to leave them. I was confused (and still am) as to why it had to end. I was angry that I didn't have any time left. I was just a mess all around we'll say. 

For the car ride back to Montélimar, I told myself I wasn't going to cry in front of the family of the girl who's going on exchange next year. Next thing I know, a song comes on the radio. The song that I sang in December with one of my favorite Brazilians (eu te amo João <3) and started crying again. The tears didn't stop for about an hour and they've been making off-and-on appearances since I got back to my host family.

On top of all of that, I'm going to see my mother for the first time since leaving Seattle on August 21st, 2013. In about 5 minutes. Needless to say, I physically cannot function right now. With my mom, we're going to visit each of my host families, our family in Montpellier, and a couple of my friends. I'll be leaving France on friday and will be back in Seattle on friday (time zone changes are weird).

It's all ending. Please make it stop ending. This is torture.

Amelia


PS: To any exchange students that I have met this year, I love you more than words can say. Even if I barely spoke to you, you'll have a special place in my heart forever and always! <3 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Amelia! My name is Grace and I'm an outbound from Alaska heading to district 1780 this August! I'd love to talk to you more about your exchange and how you got prepared and stuff! Feel free to email me a at pedersengrace@gmail.com or add me on Facebook (Grace Pedersen in Wasilla, AK). I'm super glad I found your blog and got to read about some of your wonderful experiences! Your advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete